Sometimes life events may require us to change the ownership status of our flat. For example, when you are getting married and buying a flat with your spouse, or following a divorce or passing of a loved one in the family. It is possible to apply for a change in flat ownership without monetary consideration, as long as all the current and new flat owners are aware of and consent to this change.

As a flat owner, you may apply for a change in your flat ownership to immediate family members if they meet all eligibility conditions. Here are the 4 most common types of change in flat ownership.

  • Inclusion of owners (e.g including your daughter as an owner)
  • Withdrawal of owners (e.g your daughter withdraws as an owner)
  • Substitution of owners (e.g substituting your daughter’s ownership with your son)
  • Total change of owners (e.g changing the ownership to your child)

If there is more than 1 owner for the flat, you will need to decide on the manner of holding – either by joint-tenancy, or tenancy-in-common. The former means that all owners own the whole interest in the property, and do not have separate shares. Meanwhile the latter denotes that tenants-in-common own the same property, but each with their own separate shares. HDB allows a maximum of 4 owners for each flat.

Use the following resources to find out how to go about effecting a change in flat ownership within your family:

  • Mak Mei See

    Meme-maker who loves making people laugh while learning. Learnt about BTS from a co-worker.

Recommended Reads